"Pantene Beautiful Lengths has partnered with Girl Scouts of Western Ohio to educate girls about hair, cancer, and community action. The goal of the Pantene Beautiful Lengths Girl Scout Patch program is to teach girls about healthy hair, inspire them to take action in their community, and show how much a generous and selfless act, such as a hair donation, can mean to a person in need."
The number of activities required to earn a Pantene Beautiful Lengths patch will vary by troop level:
- Daisies: complete 1 activity from each of the 3 sections
- Brownies and Juniors: complete 4 activities including at least one from each of the 3 sections
- Cadettes and Seniors: complete 5 activities including at least one from each of the 3 sections
- Ambassadors: complete 6 activities including 2 from each section
|Base patch (2" tall)|
Girls who donate their ponytail to Pantene Beautiful Lengths as one of their activities will receive a special bonus pin in addition to the patch earned through this program. Position pin on top of patch when placed on vest or sash.
|Bonus pin (1 3/8" tall)|
Pantene Beautiful Lengths Patch Activities
Section 1: Discover (Learn)
Section 1: Discover (Learn)
- Myth or Truth*: take the quiz and see how many answers you get correct. Read the answers and then re-take the quiz to see if your score improves.
- Learn to braid and style. Visit the Pantene website or Pantene YouTube channel for easy hair how-tos. Choose 3 hairstyles to try on yourself or a friend.
- The Science of Hair*: review Anatomy of a Hair and/or Science of Healthy Hair and complete the quiz at the end.
- Gather 5 examples of hair from around the world or US hairstyles through the years. Discuss diversity and varying definitions of beauty with your troop, family or friends.
- Hair Products Inventory: take inventory at home or visit a retail store and analyze the hair products that are on hand (types of shampoo and conditioner, styling products, price ranges, etc.). Ask three family members or friends why they use the products they do. Draw three conclusions from your research and share them with your troop, family or friends.
- Find out why: research why cancer treatments cause hair loss. Write a one-page report and share it with your troop, family or friends.
Section 2: Connect (Feel)
- Go to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths website (www.pantene.com; click on Beautiful Lengths) and pick a hair donation story to review with your troop, family or friends.
- Find someone affected by cancer and learn their story.
- Write a poem or essay about what your hair means to you. Share it with your troop, family or friends.
- Consider whether you could grow out your hair and donate it. Complete these three steps:
- Find 8 items that are 8 inches long.
- Review donation requirements on the Pantene website.
- Discuss with your troop, family or friends.
- Create your own activity.
- Organize a hair donation event for your troop, school or community.
- Tie in to the Girl Scouts Take Action Weekend (October) or Pantene’s National Donate Your Hair Day (November).
- Recruit local stylists or a styling school to make the cuts.
- Or donate some of your troop money toward making wigs, through the Greater Cincinnati Foundation's Pantene Beautiful Lengths fund.
- Recruit 3 people to pledge to donate their ponytails to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. Print out the attached pledge form and have them sign it. Make sure they have all the information they need in order to follow through and donate.
- Volunteer for the American Cancer Society or for another cancer-related charity, or participate in a local cancer-related event (for example, join in a 5k walk/run or attend and cheer for others).
- Write a letter of encouragement to someone who’s battling cancer.
- Donate your ponytail to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. Hair donors will receive a special award in addition to the general Pantene Beautiful Lengths patch.
- Donate at your own event or attend P&G’s annual Hair Donation event in Cincinnati, August 3, 2015.
- Donate at your local salon and capture before and after photos. Have your troop leader send the photos in with your Patch Completion Form.
PANTENE BEAUTIFUL LENGTHS ACTIVITY PATCH
(included in this post to provide more information about the program and event)
Troop #: ________________ Troop Leader’s Name: ___________________________________
Troop Level: ____Daisy ____Brownie ____ Junior ____Cadette ____Senior ____Ambassador
Mailing Address: ____________________________________________________________________________
City: ________________________________________State: __________ Zip: ____________
Email Address: ______________________________________________________________________________
Please attach a list the activities you coordinated for your troop and enclose any examples you’d like to share with Pantene. *For girls who donated their ponytail, please include 1-2 photos of the donation.*
Date of Completion: _____________________________________
Patches will be provided free of charge to girls who complete the requirements.
1) Number of girls who qualify for Pantene Beautiful Lengths patch: _______
2) Number of girls who qualify for Pantene Beautiful Lengths bonus pin -- ONLY for girls who donated 8 inches or more of their hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths): ________
P&G will host a Pantene Beautiful Lengths Hair Donation event in downtown Cincinnati on Monday, August 3, 2015. Would your troop be interested in attending and donating or receiving their patches at the event?
____Yes, please send more information. ____No, please mail our patches to the address above.
My troop has completed the activities required to earn the Pantene Beautiful Lengths activity patch.
Troop Leader Signature _______________________________________________________________________
Please return completed form to: Lynn Shafer, P&G, One P&G Plaza, C4-138, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for participating in the Pantene Beautiful Lengths patch program
By participating in the program, we learn more about cancer, get involved in the community, and contribute to a wonderful cause. If you’d like to donate, register at www.surveymonkey.com/s/DonateMyHair by July 24th. I hope to see you there!