Saturday, November 9, 2013

Paper Mache Letters, Part 1

Earlier this summer, I was working on an album at our local scrapbook store.  The store employee was covering paper mache letters with scrapbook paper in various prints.  She was creating words like "summer," "thanks," and "fall."  I watched her for a minute, thinking they would look good on our mantel or on the small table in our foyer.  Then I caught a glimpse of the price tag.  The words would be sold in the store for $40...around $7 a letter!  I knew I could make these at home for a fraction of the cost, especially since we already have many bottles of paint and some Mod Podge that was used on previous projects.

I found the 8" paper mache letters at Hobby Lobby for $2.50 each.  I purchased scrapbook paper for less than $1 a sheet.  I always try to use 40% off coupons at these craft stores.  Scrapbook paper and paint is often on sale.  Depending on the letters chosen, you can cut one or two letters out of one 12x12" sheet of scrapbook paper.  If you already have the paint and the Mod Podge, you can complete this project for around $3 a letter.  Sounds great to me!

I was bumping around Pinterest for some inspiration, and I came across this tutorial.  I decided to try making BOO and JOY.  (I loved the spider web paper featured on the tutorial so much that I copied the project exactly).  The words were finished in an afternoon, and I was pleased with the final product.  There are many other shorter words that would be easy and relatively inexpensive to create.


For the holidays:  EEK, NOEL, HOP.
For the kitchen:  YUM, DINE, EAT.
For the laundry room:  WASH and DRY.
For the home:  HOME, PRAY, LOVE, FAMILY NAME.
For kids:  INITIALS.



I carried the thought of making initials for my daughters' bedroom one step further.  Why not find time for our Girl Scout troop to decorate a letter?  I will admit that we have not yet tackled this project.  Maybe we will find time during our Christmas party, a spring meeting, or at camp?  I will be sure to post photos along with a note to share what worked for us and what did not, so please check back.  Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through a mention on another GS site (GreenBloodGab or its newsletter, I think). Your blog is a wonderful resource for GS leaders! I have two troops, but they are older than yours. :-). I will share your site with new leaders in our Service Unit though. I know they will greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks for sharing your time, talents and information with us!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this note of encouragement, Susan! I will have to check out the GreenBloodGab you mentioned. I hope you have a fun year with your girls!

    ReplyDelete