Saturday, June 30, 2012

S'more, anyone?

A s'more is a Girl Scout tradition.
While the origin of the dessert is unclear, the first recorded version of the recipe can be found in the publication "Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts" of 1927.
It is difficult to resist the delectable combination of crunchy graham cracker, silky dark chocolate, and gooey marshmallow.  Our family loves to add peanut butter to this tasty treat...Crazy good!


In late May, our Daisy Troop bridged to Brownies.  We invited families to attend the Bridging Ceremony followed by a picnic dinner.  We have a relatively small troop, but we have incredibly supportive and very involved families.  We were expecting a sizable turnout.  I wanted to make a dessert to share with our guests.  As I was bumping around Pinterest for some ideas,  I could not believe how many different desserts have been inspired by the s'more.  I decided to make mini s'more cupcakes for many different reasons.  For one, they are so cuteI couldn't imagine a more appropriate treat for this special occasion.

I lined my mini muffin tray with blue liners with white polka dots.  The liners went well with our royal blue Daisy aprons.  I chose a dark chocolate cake mix and my daughters helped me prepare the batter according to the directions on the package.  We baked the mini cupcakes for about 9 or 10 minutes.  We knew they were finished baking when we inserted a toothpick into one, and it came out clean.  

I wanted to dip the cupcakes into ganache and then graham cracker crumbs before topping them with marshmallow.  I used the following ganache recipe:
4oz of bittersweet chocolate (this time I substituted with 1/2c dark chocolate chips)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
Place chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.  Heat the cream in a small saucepan on the stove.  Watch the cream closely because it may burn.  Once it just comes to a boil, pour the cream over the chocolate.  Whisk until smooth.  Super simple.  Simply scrumptious! 

I let the ganache sit for a couple of minutes before allowing my daughters to dip the cupcakes into the chocolate sauce.  They immediately coated them with graham cracker crumbs and placed them on a cookie sheet.  I was so excited to top the cupcakes with marshmallow.  I envisioned a beautiful creation much like we see on Cupcake Wars each week.  I scooped marshmallow fluff into a sandwich-sized zippie bag.  I snipped the corner with the hopes of neatly piping a dollop on top of each cupcake.  I said neatly...

After making a terrible mess of my kitchen island, I bailed on the marshmallow fluff and vowed never to buy another tub.  Ever.  I spent the next 15 minutes muttering a few choice words under my breath as I washed my hands and cleaned up the sticky mess.  Thankfully I remembered there was a bag of large marshmallows in the pantry.  I cut each marshmallow in half (horizontally) and placed one on the top of each cupcake.  I placed the cookie sheet under the broiler for 1 minute until the marshmallows were the golden brown I desired.  I packed a healthy batch into my cupcake carrier, and we were off to the park for the ceremony. 


These mini s'more cupcakes were a hit.  They packed a big taste in a small bite with relatively little mess.  National S'more Day is August 10th.  Add this s'more-inspired cupcake to your celebration.  Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment