Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"It's True We'll Make a Better Day Just You and Me." --Michael Jackson

 "We are the world, we are the children...We are the ones who make a brighter day so let's start giving..."  I received the Michael Jackson THRILLER album for my 7th birthday (no need to do the math--I am in my mid-thirties).  I still have that vinyl record safely tucked away in my hope chest.  I also clearly remember singing "We are the World" and "Hands Across America" in my grade school music class.  Decades after their release, these tunes continue to inspire me to help others.

In a previous post, I referred to The Girls' Guide to Girl Scouting.  I created my own version for the girls in our troop which included a section on Service Projects.  The following quotation is my description of service projects, knowing Daisy Girl Scouts are my audience:
"To SERVE means to do something for someone without expecting anything in return.  You do not receive money, clothes, candy, or even a pat on the back for doing something to show you love others.  You may not even get a “Thank you.”  We were placed on this earth to love each other.  Many people in this world are hurting.  They may not have enough money to buy clothes and food.  They may not have a home to return to at the end of the day.  But they do have you.  And you are a Daisy Girl Scout.  Today you can change the world.  Our troop will have the opportunity to bless others…often those we don’t even know.  These opportunities are called Service Projects."  
Our Service Unit requires Daisy troops to complete two service projects during the year.   We exceeded this requirement each year by combining service projects with petal activities.  For example, in December, we delivered homemade Christmas ornaments to residents of a local nursing home.  The girls earned their spring green petal (considerate and caring) because they lovingly made each ornament and spent time talking with the residents receiving these gift.
Our first year, we made retro ornaments out of recycled toilet paper rolls.

Girls in our troop visiting with residents of a local nursing home at Christmastime.

 Our second year, we made beaded ornaments.

 The residents were so happy and grateful for our visit.  
Our girls could not stop smiling.

Please check back as I will describe our other service projects in detail.  As always, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment